Sunday, January 01, 2006

writers' resolutions


Every year for years I've resolved (among my other resolutions) to write more, often as the first item on the list, sometimes with an exclamation mark following. This year though, I've written as much as in any year of my life, so for a wonder, I don't need to resolve this. To play it safe, I should probably resolve to write as much as I did in 2005, but maybe I'll be devil-may-care.



Resolved:
--T0 read more. Tackle something big. Proust, I hear you saying. Proust, I groan. I've tried before and never got past the 3rd volume. But maybe Proust. And other non-British or -American writers in general. I'm much less well read out of the English language.
--To read less of the trivial. You know what I'm talking about--whatever your escapist route is. Nothing wrong with escapism, but I want to avoid the book as drug.
--To write out of my genre. I'm probably pretty much married to prose, but that doesn't mean I can't do a poem now and then, no matter how not-as-good-as-my-sister-the-poet's they are.
--To buy some new notebooks. New notebooks have been an inspiration and a pleasure to me since I was in grade school. They have to have lines (otherwise my handwriting straggles down the page); they must be bound at the side (no steno notebooks, please); I'm partial to blue covers.
--To get a new chair for my office. Any recommendations for something ergonomically sound? The one I have is '40s vintage, and it's killing my bad knee. (I also resolve not to have a bad knee.)
--To go someplace new with writing, someplace I haven't been. To stop avoiding what I might have been avoiding writing about. To see things in a new way.
--Maybe to write a little bit more. (Can't hurt.)

2 Comments:

Blogger VFox said...

How to great to have resolutions -- and even better that one of your top ones has finally been knocked down a peg. Tada -- the conquering writer!

1/02/2006 9:16 AM  
Blogger mary grimm said...

Maybe there's some magic number of resolutions that must be made before they're fulfilled?

1/02/2006 7:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home