Wednesday, December 27, 2006

the slow week between Xmas and New Year's

The week of suspended holiday, the week when the decorations are still up but the relevance is leaking out of them. The shine of the ornaments makes you nostalgic, makes you remember sitting in your father's chair and stairing into the tree as if it were a shadowy, bulb-lit cave with gleaming treasure, and although this is a beautiful memory, it's tinged with all-gone, never-again, back-in-the-dayness.
I like the slowness of it though--a pause before you throw yourself into a new year where you're supposed to be resolving and making goals. I am resolved this week to
--read a lot
--look out of my window w/o thinking consecutive thoughts
--write down notes of this and that w/o thinking of what they might turn into
--look at seed catalogs, and plan to buy seeds of kohlrabi or ruffled lettuces
I'm warming up to the next revision of the novel, shaking the tinsel and glitter of Christmas out of my hair before I take out my metaphorical scissors and snip, snip, snap.
More from-the-car photos:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like this week too -- I need some time in which to vegetate!

12/27/2006 9:13 PM  
Blogger susan grimm said...

I love the sign. Do you think it's a suggestion for more universal courtesy or some great humongous desire?

12/28/2006 9:47 AM  
Blogger mary grimm said...

Dorothy--vegetation is essential, I think; almost as good as meditation.
Erie--the please on the sign was a leftover from some parking exhortation for some event in University Circle--it was that way for almost a week though, so maybe someone besides me found it piquant.

12/28/2006 10:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that line about the decorations still being up but the relevance is leaking out of them. Perfect way to describe this week. I could only think of it as a holiday holding pattern until the last shebang-New Year's.

12/29/2006 9:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home