Tuesday, June 20, 2006

writer's un-block

I started on the novel again after a break (week in SE Ohio, grandchildren, auction, the Washboard Festival, etc., etc., etc.), and 1037 words rolled off my fingers. I think this might be the first time I've come back after a hiatus and was able to start right in w/o a lot of grief, doubt, psycho-wrangling, and all that other not-fun stuff. It was helpful that I knew where I was going--that I was going to start writing the scene where Jason goes to the abandoned prison (the section is called, helpfully, "The Abandoned Prison").
I'd thought I might go and visit the actual prison this is based on while I was down there, but I totally forgot about that until I was sitting in front of the computer this morning. But I have a lot of notes from when I visited it last time, also some pictures (unfortunately not digital, or I'd post one).
I took a lot of books down there to read, but I found myself reading the same essay in Nobody Knows My Name (James Baldwin) every night in the 2 minutes before I fell asleep, although there were, of course, numerous readings of Moo, Baa, La La La* and other classics.

*a thrilling and transgressive book dealing with the importance of the animal voice

4 Comments:

Blogger Karen Sandstrom said...

I know I am reacting to the wrong thing here, but you are too young to have grandchildren. I can't get past that.

6/20/2006 9:10 PM  
Blogger mary grimm said...

Comments on youth always welcome!

6/21/2006 10:01 AM  
Blogger Sean Santa said...

congrats on the 1000+ words. where is this prison? i like abandoned things

L,

Sean

6/21/2006 10:38 AM  
Blogger mary grimm said...

The prison is in the Logan area, about a half hour ride from downtown, I think.

6/25/2006 12:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home