Tuesday, July 18, 2006

no retreat, no surrender

But I am actually going on a writing retreat, an informal one, at a friend's house in Lake Tahoe (or is that at Lake Tahoe?). I'll be there for a week, writing like crazy, hoping to finish or nearly finish my novel. This makes me feel great trepidation. There's something about the idea of going some place particularly (and only) to write that gives me performance anxiety. I feel more secure if writing is something that has to be tucked in, or even wedged forcibly into a day that has other purposes. A leftover from when I wrote on the dining room table after the kids went to bed.
Maybe this week at Lake Tahoe will allow me to claim my writing in a new way.
Some books I'm taking with me:
Nobody Knows My Name, James Baldwin
The Polysyllabic Spree, Nick Hornby
That damned copy of the Missouri Review given entirely over to Rick Bass that I still haven't finished reading yet.

5 Comments:

Blogger susan grimm said...

Someone (with whom I'm going to Lake Tahoe) thinks I'm taking too many books: An American Tragedy, The Golden Compass, the last New Yorker, the last Angle, poetry by Michael Burkardt and David Wojahn, Steve Hayward's new book. Hmmm. Something I can't remember. Ever since I went to Italy the first time I have reading anxiety (anxiety over the possibility of not having enough to read).

7/18/2006 1:08 PM  
Blogger Karen Sandstrom said...

There was an entire copy of the Missouri Review given over to Rick Bass? What crack were they smoking?

On the other hand, my memory of a visit to Tahoe when I was about 16 is still vivid and lovely. Have a wonderful time. I will be in Cleveland doing a parallel reading of The Secret Life of Bees with my 14-year-old, who has been assigned the book for summer reading.

7/18/2006 8:19 PM  
Blogger xtinehlee said...

have a wonderful writing time--and even if you don't end up writing, that's okay too--it is beautiful there and a great space for meditation!

(this is from the person who had writer's block at a writing colony) :)

7/23/2006 9:07 PM  
Blogger mary grimm said...

Erie--I just want to point out that you didn't read most of those books. Just saying.

Karen--I still haven't read it. Maybe I should stop trying.

c(h)ristine--I can have writer's block any time anywhere. But, pleasantly, I didn't have it at Lake Tahoe.
I love your parentheses.

7/25/2006 12:34 PM  
Blogger Kristin Ohlson said...

And did you read the James Baldwin????

I'll bet you guys were drinking too much wine and spending your evenings watching the swallows turn into bats....

7/26/2006 12:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home