Sunday, October 30, 2005

good feelings: bad writing?

I felt awfully good today about what I wrote, but I've been schooled to think that this might be a bad thing. Various literary luminaries have said that if you like it you're probably wrong (can't remember who, because I'm terrible at remembering the sources of things).
But surely this can't be the case all the time? Anyway, I'm going to let myself bask at least briefly.
I have a synopsis for this novel--I'm ridiculously proud of this fact, since I've never been able to write one before. I'm not sure it's a good synopsis, and I notice that I'm going further and further afield from what it set out as the story. But here's the thing: I'm afraid to stop and think about this, or to try and rewrite the synopsis, because I'm very afraid of losing momentum. I keep thinking that at some point I'll have to stop and consider how the rest of the book goes, but so far I've been able to persuade myself not to.
I'm reading Colette's The Vagabond, which is restful, since it's so unlike anything I might ever write.

2 Comments:

Blogger susan grimm said...

So is a blog anything like morning pages?

10/31/2005 4:47 PM  
Blogger mary grimm said...

It's nothing like morning pages, because you don't have to do it in the morning!

10/31/2005 8:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home