Sunday, March 05, 2006

imagining the novel














The novel is a house I have entered: I knew how to get in, but can I find my way out? The novel is rope to hang myself with.
The novel takes a nap, bored, while I check my email for the twentieth time.
When the novel goes out, it has my face--everyone knows what I'm thinking.
The novel is pile of post-its, a legal pad with a grease spot, a jar full of used up pens.
After the novel: there is no after.
If the novel is dead, who are the suspects?
The novel is an ache at the base of my spine, a burning in my eyes.
The novel dreams that Virginia Woolf has read it and thrown it down violently.
The novel is a part-time job, with no benefits; or if there are benefits, they are metaphysical. Note: to register for the metaphysical HMO.
The novel is a series of tea cups, crumpled chocolate wrappers, cracker crumbs sifted through the keyboard.
The novel says, “I am brilliant.”
The novel, wearing sunglasses, refuses to give an interview.
The novel is a glass of bourbon, drunk while weeping over the keyboard.
If the novel is tired, it will sleep, surrounded by thorns, for a hundred years.
The novel is a country whose language I had to invent before anyone could speak.

5 Comments:

Blogger susan grimm said...

I think this post might actually be a poem (which is pretty funny if you think about it).

3/05/2006 4:33 PM  
Blogger mary grimm said...

Personally I found it to be impossible to write when my children were little--although I know other writers who have done it (how?).

3/05/2006 6:15 PM  
Blogger Sean Santa said...

that was a glorious post! i cant wait to read this novel

L,

Sean

3/06/2006 1:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

At least you've started. I haven't. I can write but I can't plot. I'd have to write a novel in which nothing happens.

3/06/2006 2:33 AM  
Blogger Bruce Owens Grimm said...

Excellent post.

3/07/2006 10:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home