Wednesday, February 14, 2007

snow filling up the world

We're slightly snowed in, and we don't have to go to work or school, which is delightful--a happy sin against the Puritan ethic. Inspired by Cookin' in the 'Cuse and Liberty Farm's snow pictures, I took some of my own. (I also greatly admire CitC's impeccable use of apostrophes.)
A long, slow, whitened day: perfect for catching up on reading, doing a little writing, and telling you 5 weird things about me, since Karen at Pen in Hand tagged me for a meme. It was originally 6 weird things, but Karen downsized it to 5.
5 or 6 weird things about me:

1. I once worked in a religious garments supply house, doing inventory. Not a secret, but definitely weird. It was a Saturday job when I was going to college, courtesy of my best friend, whose uncle knew someone who knew someone else who was in the religious garments business. Nuns' bras looked much like anyone else's, except they were always white.
2. I once had a dream about a past life which I died and saw my own grave.
3. I read books from the back sometimes, if I'm impatient with the writing or the plot but I want to find out what happened (in fact, I can't stand not to know what happened, even if it's a very bad book). I'm pretty good at it, but it's one of those talents that will never really do you any good, and certainly aren't marketable.
4. I have around 100 first cousins. Two parents from large families (mother: 11; father: 9), and a procreatively-minded set of aunts and uncles (one side Catholic). It made family reunions chaotic and marvelous; also gave me the chance to have crushes on various cousins, 2nd cousins, 1st cousins once removed. Mike, Bobby: you know who you are.
5. I was 3rd in the state in the Auxilium Latinum Latin contest. I don't remember anymore what was involved--a test of some kind, probably, but I have a nifty silver pin to remind me of my triumph.
6. I still have the hairpiece I wore at my 1st wedding--it's in a decorative gold and white box, still beautifully curled, never worn but the once.

3 Comments:

Blogger ThursdayNext said...

Happy Snow Day to you! I got half a day...we had a two hour delayed opening here at the high school. :) I slept in and it felt SO good...classes are like 25 minutes a piece, too! Lovely photos! Its a sheet of ice where I am! If I read a bad book and don't want to finish it, I just go to the end to read!

2/15/2007 11:04 AM  
Blogger Karen Sandstrom said...

I love the part about crushes on cousins, a strange phenomenon which I'd forgotten all about. You and Maureen definitely have better weird things to tell than most.

2/16/2007 2:54 AM  
Blogger Sean Santa said...

theres a good book by my favourite cleveland fiction writer called 'left to themselves' about a girl in love with her cousin. check it out

L,

Sean

2/17/2007 1:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home