Saturday, February 24, 2007

writing fuel


I've made it clear, I think, that I think the proper food for writers is chocolate, preferably dark, to be taken 2 squares at a time whenever inspiration wanes. But other foods should not be disdained, especially when you do a day-long writing stint.

All of which is to say that my writing friends and I had another writing retreat day, and our menu included

white cheddar popcorn
chocolate-covered dried cranberries
red pears
mineolas
fresh pineapple
crackers (Triscuits and whole wheat biscuits)
smoked Gouda
an amazing lentil soup

This beautiful and intensely sustaining soup wasn't totally responsible for any brilliant work done that day, but I am thinking of making it when I start on the last (I hope) revision of my novel.

Just to make it clear that we didn't eat all day long, here is a list of what was written:
my sister: a poem about melting ice (which was happening outside as we wrote)
T: some pages of her novel, which is about a brother and sister who are inseparable when they are young, but who as adults have difficulty with each other's life choices
K: working with notes on articles (interrupted by having to meet the plumber at her house to confer over a frozen pipe)
me: the possible beginning of a short story about 3 women discussing their love lives in a bar over margaritas (it's terribly dialogue-heavy though--so much that K or T suggested it should be a play; I do love to write dialogue).

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Nova Ren Suma said...

Delectable-looking soup! And I must agree with your point about the chocolate. My inspiration for writing soars when I have some. In fact, I think I need a square of dark chocolate right about now...

2/24/2007 1:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that all makes for some mighty meals, and great writing sustenance! in short, I agree!

2/24/2007 4:17 PM  
Blogger mary grimm said...

An interesting question: what various writers might consider to be essential fuel. Someone's doctoral dissertation, maybe!

2/26/2007 10:11 AM  
Blogger Gina Ventre said...

that soup looks most excellent.

im with you on the dark chocolate eaten squares at a time.

2/28/2007 8:28 AM  
Blogger sea glass said...

Just went on your blog (any blog) for the first time in many weeks, and was so pleased to see my soup and bowl featured. I put this on a par with being in Gourmet or whatever-martha-stewart's magazine is called.

3/01/2007 8:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home