Tuesday, May 27, 2008

summer writing

Just as we used to have summer reading, either for school, or to win a modest prize from the public library, I've instituted summer writing. I've finished (for now at least) working on my novel (I'd like to think it's totally finished, but it's probably not). I have another novel I want to revise, but I don't want to work on that for a while. And I don't want to start a new novel (plus I don't have any novel-size ideas as yet).
So my summer writing is going to be stories. I spent a week on a writing retreat, and assigned myself to come up with a new story beginning every day (6 in all). And now I'm working on one that has the working title of "Yuma," since it's set there and I couldn't think of anything else. It has 6 characters so far--an old woman, the young woman who lives across the street from her, the girl's baby and the girl's husband, the old woman's dead husband, and a man down the street with whom the dead husband used to feud. How will it go? We'll see, as I used to tell my kids when they asked me questions I couldn't or didn't want to answer.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A summer of stories... Really, that sounds like so much fun.

5/28/2008 7:57 AM  
Blogger mary grimm said...

Writing the story beginnings was very fun!

5/29/2008 10:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you're back! How nice to hear about your summer ahead, and your six short story beginnings. Very cool. xoxo, L

6/09/2008 7:20 PM  
Blogger MJN/NYC said...

I, too, am glad you're back!

6/16/2008 6:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home