Wednesday, July 04, 2007

notes and plans

Still in the office, still surrounded by paper, although some of it has been thrown away (so far, one large garbage bag, plus one Bed Bath and Beyond bag, and one Target bag); and some has been confined to folders. Quite a lot is still sitting around in piles though, with cryptic post-it notes so I'll keep them straight.
All this sounds onerous, perhaps, but I find that I'm having fun. I've come across all sorts of things: old letters; a Christmas card hand written and drawn in pencil by my younger daughter (then abt 7, I think); some ancient poems of my sister's; a sheaf of song lyrics written by my 2nd husband; a list of the people who were in my 1st writing group; and so on. The most fun thing I've done is to weigh the materials, drafts, folders, sources, etc., for the novel I just finished--it comes out to 26 pounds on my admittedly faulty bathroom scale. The current part of this project: entering in all the stray idea notes I've found, on torn-out pages, subscription blanks, post-its, backs of envelopes, etc. Thanks to a helpful commenter on Jadepark's brilliant blog, I've discovered Google Notebooks, where my deathless ideas will be available from any computer and preserved for eternity or as long as Google lasts, whichever comes first.
Random list of notes I found:
--title: "The School for Disembodied Stories"
--the writing group list: MB, MJ, Erieblue, Peggy, Jackie, Joe, Cory, Lisa, Michael (and Ronnie), Paige, Dale. A sunny hi to you all, wherever you are!
--a dream about climbing a rock face scored like corduroy
--a character who makes a living writing (and making up) books of prophecies
--sleeping in a room with birds in cages
--the boy who fell off the bus in Yuma
Now surely I can do something with that...

5 Comments:

Blogger Bruce Owens Grimm said...

I like the idea of google notebooks. Also for some reason I find the picture of your notebooks calming.

7/05/2007 3:45 PM  
Blogger mary grimm said...

The most amazing thing is that they're searchable!

7/06/2007 10:30 AM  
Blogger Gina Ventre said...

I love pictures of organization and disorganization. Pictures of stacks of personal things.

At Chelsea's vintage shop, I found a day planner that someone kept in the 1940s. A great cash register read.

7/06/2007 11:07 AM  
Blogger mary grimm said...

G--I'm jealous of the day planner: what a find! I do have my father's notebook from 1974 though. He carefully kept track of his gas mileage.

7/06/2007 11:16 PM  
Blogger MJN/NYC said...

I remember that writing group. I was a long-distance member.

The project of going through old notebooks and papers and lists always prolongs the cleaning process. But it's irresistible, isn't it?

7/11/2007 10:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home