Tuesday, June 05, 2007

done/undone

Amazingly, I've managed to cut more than 40,000 words. Who knew I was so good at hacking and burning? I give credit to the lifelong tutelage of S, my 1st and best critic: please take a bow.
Now onto last part, which has 2 components:
--fixing the fixy-up things, listed on legal pad; also should check old revising notes to see if I’ve missed anything.
--writing the new ghost sections; which includes deciding how many more and who they should be; also moving the one I took out of LT’s chapter.
Here’s the list:
Done:
--cut some more: tighten it up until it’s squeaky (it squeaks like a rusty gate; although somehow that is not a pleasing simile in connection with the work of one's heart)
--renumber chapters
--did I cut the Rose Lake chapter??? (no)
--backlight some of the stuff that shows up later (Isabel's money-making plans, eg)
--clean up little stuff

--do I need to cut some minor characters? (no; the only characters I cut was one of the 2 dogs)
Undone:
---put in some more ghost voices
--new names for some chapters
--print it out and send to V
--ditto to S
--send to my agent

7 Comments:

Blogger Annie Wicking said...

Well done,
It sound as you have been very busy.
Have you sent any work out yet?

Annie,

Ps I've add you to my links

So I'll be back soon.

6/06/2007 3:35 AM  
Blogger Gina Ventre said...

I like pruning - or - hacking through the undergrowth with a scythe.

I remember your legal pad advice

Working on summer work feels good.

6/06/2007 1:28 PM  
Blogger Bruce Owens Grimm said...

I'm always afraid I'm going to cut that one thing that made the piece good. But that's my usual fretting/overthinking problem. Overall, editing can be fun.

6/06/2007 1:32 PM  
Blogger mary grimm said...

aw/la: I haven't sent out anything for a while, because of working on this. Soon--short stories!
gv: yes, it is kind of fun, once you get into the spirit of it. I even found myself cutting more when I was adding some parts--it's addictive.
bk: now you've made me nervous.

6/08/2007 10:48 AM  
Blogger Erin O'Brien said...

"tighten it up until it’s squeaky"

I could learn a lot from you.

6/09/2007 10:00 AM  
Blogger Sean Santa said...

wow, i wish i was "s."

L,

Sean

6/17/2007 5:01 PM  
Blogger mary grimm said...

Sean--it's true: S is dynamite!

6/19/2007 7:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home