Thursday, March 09, 2006

meme-ified


I've been tagged by Erin O'Brien with the 7-songs-I'm-into-right-now meme. Just the very thought of having songs I'm into makes me feel like a giddy 18- or perhaps 23-year-old, which is a stretch. But here they are, in no particular order, songs I would always, always listen to when they come on the radio:
1. "Brown-Eyed Girl," Van Morrison. This reminds me of my 2nd husband.
2. "The Habanera," as sung by Maria Callas in Carmen. My sister and I absorbed this as we lay under our play table listening to the 2-record set, bound in a brilliant red, with Maria C's tortured face on the front. It's a hell of a song.
3. "Atlantis," Donovan. A lovely, spooky song that is about things that are lost and will never come again.
4. "Pink Cadillac." This has been sung both by Bruce Springsteen and Natalie Cole (what a pairing!), but the version I prefer was sung by D, when he was in a country western band. He was the bass player, and in a group with two (and sometimes) three other big egos, he didn't get to sing very often.
5. "The Sultans of Swing," Dire Straits. This is totally out of my era, but I just like it, so there.
6. "The Way," which improbably enough seems to be sung by someone named Gigi D'Agostino. This was playing the summer that my parents were dying, and I fixated on it. I suppose it isn't a great song, but it has some haunting lyrics.
7. "Ball and Chain," Janis Joplin. A song that says love hurts, but so much better than the song with that title, by whoever it was who did it. Nazareth?
I am tagging Plan B, Crazy Diamond, and Isaurine.

3 Comments:

Blogger Erin O'Brien said...

I once effed a guy in college while "Pink Cadillac" was playing.

3/10/2006 5:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now there's a whole other meme!

3/13/2006 3:41 PM  
Blogger Sean Santa said...

ms. o'brien wins the BEST COMMENT EVER award for bloggers worldwide

L,

Sean

3/13/2006 8:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home