Thursday, August 17, 2006

post-novel tristesse

But actually, I don't feel any. Is it like Emily Dickinson--"a formal feeling comes/The Nerves sit ceremonious, like Tombs"? Probably not, but I love that poem. I looked it up just now to get the quote right and found it on Quotations About.com, a carelessly literate site where they called it "Poem lyrics," and misspelled Tombs. If you want to read the whole thing, it's here, spelled correctly, and with Dickinson's dashes intact.
Ahem, you may say, you are meandering, and it's true. I am happily unfocused, at least for a while. The novel is living in another room just now--we're separated. I'm planning a reconciliation in a couple of weeks, after school has started and settled down, after Charley O has read it and told me what he thinks; after my sister and I have talked it over. It's not you, I told the novel, it's me--I need some space. And the novel took it well, retreated to its disks and CDs. It's biding its time--it knows I still love it.
Since I wrote The End (metaphorically; although why didn't I? it would have been fun), I've been to the Catskills for my niece's wedding. (I took the novel disks and CD along in my plaid bag, because what if burglars broke in, etc.?) I've worked in the garden (lots of weeds, few tomatoes), and tomorrow D and I are going to start canning the motherlode of peaches from his father's 2 trees, planted on his tiny Parma lot (along with an apple and a pear tree). Plus I'm doing some fascinating reorganizing of the majors' files at school. Is there Life After the Novel? Yes, but it's a strange and cloudy life. I think I might write a short story or two, but the novel is tapping its foot. Remember me, it's saying. Or else.

8 Comments:

Blogger Bruce Owens Grimm said...

I also have that fear of someone stealing the disks with my stories on them.

8/17/2006 11:23 AM  
Blogger mary grimm said...

In my favor, I don't think they'd be stealing them BECAUSE my novel was on them, but just carelessly, if you see what I mean.

8/17/2006 12:38 PM  
Blogger Bruce Owens Grimm said...

That's what I meant too. Maybe it's because that actually happened to me. Someone stole my bag thinking there was a laptop in it, but it only had the disks with stories on them.

8/17/2006 12:52 PM  
Blogger Gina Ventre said...

I have a fear of those disks being magically erased. In fact, I have my stories disk with me right now and I'm getting paranoid that all the junk in my bag is scratching it up. Yes it's in a plastic holder thingy but paranoia isn't logical.

8/17/2006 1:21 PM  
Blogger mary grimm said...

Stolen: this gave me chills just to read it. This is why I have multiple copies, both virtual and hard, to guard against story-stealing weirdos, fire, earthquake, and scratches.

8/17/2006 1:34 PM  
Blogger Kristin Ohlson said...

I don't have disks on which I can copy stuff. Yikes. So I send my completed files to my husband-- at least, they can reside on his computer too.

8/17/2006 7:53 PM  
Blogger Karen Sandstrom said...

I'm wondering if the Charley O you mention is the only Charlie O. I know. I'm also wondering what happens to My Novel On Toast when the novel is done.

8/17/2006 9:11 PM  
Blogger mary grimm said...

I believe it is the same Charley O--does sf ring a bell?
On the question of what happens to novel-on-toast--well, the novel isn't done yet, in the revising sense, so I don't know. Novel Toasted? Novel Burnt and Crisped?

8/18/2006 9:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home