Thursday, September 28, 2006

writing is an extreme sport

Check out this great post by BlogLily on what happens when you're writing and you get to the edge of the known. It's the best description I've read of what happens when you've started, and maybe you had to scourge yourself to sit down at your desk and you didn't want to start and you put it off by checking your email obsessively or playing computer games or re-ordering your post-it collection, but you're at your desk and kind of grumpily writing this and that, moving through the scene that you set yourself to write for the day and all of a sudden you're in new territory. All of a sudden you realize that Carl has gone on this walk so he can go and look at the family cemetery that's back up in the hills behind the farm, and that this connects with about 8 other things you've got going in the novel and therefore is inspired, except that you bypassed inspiration and the scene is coming straight out of your fingertips. You're writing something you hadn't thought of, but it's pretty OK, and the grumpiness is gone and you let the post-its slide to the floor because you're writing yourself into a new place. This is the greatest writer feeling in the world.

5 Comments:

Blogger Bruce Owens Grimm said...

I LOVE when that happens! One of the best feelings in the world.

9/28/2006 4:45 PM  
Blogger Gina Ventre said...

I also watch the woodland animals outside the window while I reorder the post it collection.

But that feeling is the best flying, smart feeling ever.

9/28/2006 4:48 PM  
Blogger sea glass said...

And where does it come from, that connection? Was it there all along? What if you hadn't stumbled onto it? This is all too mysterious and iffy!

10/04/2006 6:01 PM  
Blogger mary grimm said...

I don't know--but it does, so many times. The times it doesn't happen are so likely to be the times that I didn't make myself go on.

10/04/2006 10:15 PM  
Blogger sea glass said...

I can't go on...I'll go on...I can't go on...I'll...

10/06/2006 10:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home