Friday, March 17, 2006

planning the end


"Planning the end" is the folder where I'm spending my novel time right now. Although it sounds like the title of a brochure you might get in the mail from your neighborhood funeral home, it is in fact full of hope and high expectations--because I can see the end in sight (even if dimly). The name of the file I'm working on is the story of what's coming up, a sequel to the story of what has happened so far, and so far it's a giant list of everything I thought might be in the novel but haven't used yet, culled from a raft of post-it notes, backs of the cards stuck in magazines, McDonald's napkins, and envelopes that once contained urgent messages from my bank, my electric company, my credit card people. These are all reminders of fleeting thoughts I've had while writing the novel, and it's a reminder of how fleeting my mind is, how tangential, how associative, how obsessed with trivia and minutiae--all of which is a strength I embrace and a weakness I'm always trying to cure.

6 Comments:

Blogger Karen Sandstrom said...

Hi, Lucette
I'm so happy to have discovered your blog (because you discovered mine, because of Erin.) What a treat this is. Full of reminders of how difficult the fiction-writing process is. (Which I need, since I tend to think that because it doesn't come easily I'm too stupid to do it.) "Sultans of Swing" is a great song, by the way.

3/17/2006 12:31 PM  
Blogger mary grimm said...

The tendency I have to overcome is if it doesn't come easily, the hell with it.

3/17/2006 1:10 PM  
Blogger K Allrich said...

I loved this post. ;-)

3/19/2006 6:53 PM  
Blogger Bruce Owens Grimm said...

Lucette, I have that same problem.

3/20/2006 9:26 AM  
Blogger Iris Jamahl Dunkle said...

I am just amazed you are organized enought to keep all those post-it notes and napkins together in a folder. I am constantly finding them on the floor or stuck to my sock. The other day my seven month old was eating a little note I'd written to myself that had the words "modal grandfather" written on it!

3/20/2006 9:50 PM  
Blogger mary grimm said...

"modal grandfather"--sounds intriguing.

3/21/2006 12:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home