Friday, April 14, 2006

my summer reading list


I've never actually had a list of books I was assigned to read in the summer for school, and maybe this is why I so love to make up one for myself. I always think of summer as a time of infinite leisure, when I will have time to read for hours, even though this has been proved false over and over again. But it's good to have goals.
I don't have a list assembled yet, although I have some ideas. Proust is lurking in the back of my mind: read me! And I was thinking I might like to reread some things, like Bulgakov's The Master and Margarita, and Atwood's Lady Oracle. Possibly some Henry James? I haven't read enough outside the English language--I'd like to get into some more French, German, Italian, Japanese, Chinese, etc., etc.
My plan is to start assembling books in a special pile, the summer pile. And maybe if I want to read Proust I should buy it instead of getting it out of the library and then renewing it for several months. I need to find a new reading position, since lying on my stomach now makes my back hurt if I do it for too long. Also, I'd sort of like an Adirondack chair with its wide chair arm for drinks, for outdoor reading in my garden.
Reading has always been like heaven for me. Or like meditation--a way to turn off the annoying ching-chang of my brain. I've read so much that I have a recurring crick in my left thumb, which I use to hold books open. I've read my way through at least 15 pairs of glasses (estimating a new one every three years). One of the best sounds I know is the flick of the page, laid on the silence of an empty house, counterpointed by the cycling rush of the refrigerator or the heater--a space that fills up over and over with words.
About the list: I'm looking for recommendations--what have you read that's worth recommending?

6 Comments:

Blogger susan grimm said...

But I'm sure that we had a reading list for Lourdes. Maybe it was just the first year between eighth grade and freshman? I can even remember some of the things on it--that book with giant in the title by Rolvaag?? (you can see how much of an impression this left) and something by Willa Cather.

4/15/2006 10:56 AM  
Blogger mary grimm said...

Giants in the Earth. You may be right, but I can't remember a thing about it. The only kind of summer reading I remember is the summer reading program at the library, where you could read ten books and get a sticker or something.

4/15/2006 11:46 AM  
Blogger Sean Santa said...

'dont let me be lonely' by claudia rankin, absolutely.

i think youd like 'blessing the house' by jim daniels, the only pittsburgh poet i would recommend

L,

Sean

4/18/2006 8:57 AM  
Blogger Gina Ventre said...

How about some Edith Wharton? I myself will attempt to read House of Mirth this summer. Ethan Frome is also a great read, even if you have already read it. It's one of my favorite stories of all time.

4/18/2006 11:41 AM  
Blogger Sean Santa said...

gina, i agree. i liked both although i would only reread ethan frome

oh, also i just read "yellow back radio broke-down" for senior seminar. im assuming youve read that already, but i was really impressed. i certainly recommend that

L,

Sean

4/18/2006 11:50 AM  
Blogger Leigh said...

same thing I recommend to everyone: Lolita. Don't go into it with any expectations.

4/21/2006 10:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home